Asparagus Spinach Artichoke Casserole

[Public]

Moderator: Midge

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Gallery: 3697

Asparagus Spinach Artichoke Casserole

Post by blbabe1234 »

I originally made this as just a side dish, but when we were trying to get DH's A1C from 11 down to at least 7, we experimented by adding more and more stuff to it, making it a full meal in itself. And it makes ALOT. DH could eat as much as he wanted as the carb count in this is extremely low.

You can find the original recipe here:
https://recommended.tips/asparagus-spin ... casserole/

Ingredients

15 ounce asparagus, drained (you can even use the frozen ones that are chopped and just like frozen cauliflower rice, you can just steam these in their bag,    following the directions on the bag. Or fresh too. Just sautee them first)

1 jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained

13 ounce spinach, drained (if you don't have the frozen kind, you can use fresh. Just sautee it.)

4 ounce sliced mushrooms, drained (I do NOT like canned or jarred mushrooms at all, but I will eat them fresh. So again, you can use fresh here and sautee them. I usually sautee them with the spinach with plenty of garlic and cracked black pepper).

1 cup heavy whipping cream

8 ounce cream cheese

1/2 cup vegetable broth (after making this casserole many times, I usually opt out of this ingredient. Made my casserole too watery.)

1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 package cream cheese

1/2 package sharp Cheddar cheese (they can be slices, or shredded cheese. Since this goes on top, you use what you want. Some people like very little cheese. Others like alot. We usually use a swiss and gruyere cheese blend. Sometimes I'll add mozzarella to it. Muenster works well too.)

Instructions:

1. Spread asparagus across the bottom of a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
2. Scatter artichoke hearts on top.
3. Place the casserole dish in the oven; this will remove some residual moisture from the vegetables as the oven heats.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

5. Place spinach and mushrooms in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave until moisture evaporates, about 5 minutes. (Since I use fresh spinach and mushrooms, I skip this step and just saute the veggies, and then using cheese-cloth, squeeze out the moisture. Also, I start with very little EVOO in the pan for sauteeing as spinach and mushrooms will release liquids)

6. Transfer spinach and mushrooms into a pot over medium heat. Add heavy cream, cream cheese, and broth.
7. Cook and stir continuously until cream cheese melts and sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
8. Reduce heat to low. Stir in Italian seasoning and garlic powder; cook until flavors meld, about 3 minutes.
9. Remove casserole from the oven; pour sauce over the vegetables. Top with Cheddar cheese (or any cheese you like).
10. Bake in the preheated oven until top is lightly browned and edges are crumbly, about 20 minutes.
11. Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.

To make this a complete meal, I add shredded chicken to this.

Also, if you don't like a particular veggie (like mushrooms, for example), don't use it. You can totally make this dish your own with whatever you like/don't like.

DH has coined this as the "Everything But the Kitchen Sink" casserole because to stretch it (if I have more mouths to feed), I've added cauliflower rice to it

Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 2322

Re: Asparagus Spinach Artichoke Casserole

Post by Art_Teacher »

Yum!  This sounds delicious!  Of course, my DH would say it's a side, unless I put meat in it, but chicken would go very well with this!
Last edited by Art_Teacher on Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laura
 Image    Image     Image  Image  Image
emmapaige
Chatty Cherry
Gallery: 2441

Post by emmapaige »

I would LOVE this. Unfortunately, DH not so much.
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImage Image

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Gallery: 3697

Post by blbabe1234 »

Art_Teacher wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:33 am
Yum!  This sounds delicious!  Of course, my DH would say it's a side, unless I put meat in it, but chicken would go very well with this!

Yes, chicken goes very well with this. I only made this once "as is", then started adding shredded chicken to it
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   ImageImageImage

Return to “Share a Recipe”